The City will be relocating bleachers from various sport fields temporarily for the Stampede and parade. They will be returned!
Join Us in Whispering Woods and the Centennial Natureground!
SUMMER TUESDAYS: Join us for Biodiversity Bees!
If you live, work, attend school, play, shop, volunteer, or visit in Brentwood – or would like to – please join us this summer for another season of social stewardship through biodiversity conservation in the Centennial Natureground and Whispering Woods – tucked away in the NW corner of Brentwood.
NEW THIS YEAR: Not only will we will be focusing on a different set of plants at each gathering, there will also be kid-focused activities, such as scavenger hunts, story time, and unstructured free play opportunities in a natural setting – the importance of which is gaining recognition.
If you would also like to be on a listserv regarding these dates, please send me a message at the email below – it’s only a few emails during the growing season, keeping your inbox relatively quiet.
Please join us and become part of the unfolding stories of inspiring community building and care in our local natural areas. All are WELCOME.
We will be meeting on 7 Tuesdays in July and August. We’ll start with three evenings [6:00-8:00 p.m.], taking advantage of July’s lingering light, followed by a week off, and then three mornings [9:00-11:00 a.m.] in August. The final gathering will be another evening, although slightly earlier [5:00-7:00 p.m.], followed by our annual season ending Celebration & Potluck [7:00 p.m. onwards]. For one thing, I will be celebrating TWENTY YEARS of writing the Environews column for the Brentwood Bugle!!!
|9–11 a.m.||6–8 p.m.|
|20||5–7 p.m. EARLIER EVENING||7:00 p.m. Onwards|
Calgarians have repeatedly demonstrated delight in getting to know their neighbours through shared activities of all sorts. You are heartily encouraged to enjoy such camaraderie by joining these fun and festive Community Biodiversity Bees.
- Bring your families; Bring your friends!
- Make an outing of the occasion and enjoy the full opportunities provided by the area’s recreation, gardening, and gathering spaces.
- Socialize. Learn. Help. No experience required!
- Strengthen and Sustain your community through conversation, collaboration, and celebration.
Meet at the Prairie Amphitheatre in Whispering Woods, just off Brenner Drive NW, or in the adjacent Centennial Natureground on the west side of Dr. Coffin School, at 5615 Barrett Drive NW. Dress for the weather, and for gardening! Although there will be some gloves and hand tools available to share, it would be helpful if you brought your own. We will be working in both Whispering Woods and the Centennial Natureground. Arrive and assist as you’re willing and able, and please BYO H2O.
Environmentally yours, Polly Lee Knowlton Cockett
Grassroutes Ethnoecological Association, firstname.lastname@example.org
|City of Calgary Crowchild Trail Upgrades: Upcoming Major Traffic Impact – Full Closure of 10 Avenue SW Ramp
As part of the Crowchild Trail Upgrades Project, we are reconfiguring the westbound 10 Avenue SW to northbound Crowchild Trail ramp. As part of this work, the existing ramp will be FULLY closed for two weeks.
1) Beginning at 10 p.m. Thursday, June 13 and running straight through until 5 a.m. on Friday, June 28, the westbound 10 Avenue SW ramp to northbound Crowchild ramp will be closed.
2) Once complete, the newly-reconfigured westbound 10 Ave SW ramp will temporarily merge onto the right-hand side of Crowchild Trail.
3) The westbound Bow Trail to northbound Crowchild Trail ramp will continue to come up into its own lane on the far left-hand side of Crowchild Trail as it does now.
4) By the end of this summer, both ramps will be reconfigured and the 10 Ave SW merge condition onto Crowchild Trail will be eliminated; traffic from the 10 Ave SW and Bow Trail ramps will join together and enter northbound Crowchild Trail as a dedicated, added right-hand lane.
The City will be messaging out the traffic impacts via on-site messaging, social media, the project website, e-newsletter and some proactive media interviews. They will also be communicating and coordinating with emergency services to maintain access. Suggested detours and associated signage will be in place.
Expect increased activity and frequent lane realignments all throughout the summer and fall. As always, the most timely information will be available on the project page
Soccer team photos will be taken Sunday June 2nd, 2019. If the weather is not suitable for outdoor pictures, they will be taken in the upstairs hall at the Brentwood Sportsplex.
Photo retakes will be on Monday June 3rd, 2019 at 7:00 pm
|First Major 2019 Traffic Shift
Beginning at 10 p.m. Friday, May 24 and running straight through until 5 a.m. on Monday, May 27, there will be a significant increase in construction activity along the Crowchild Trail construction sites. In addition to regular roadworks, our crews will be temporarily (until the end of July) relocating the exit point from northbound Crowchild Trail to the eastbound and westbound Memorial Drive off-ramps.
Effective Monday morning (5 a.m.):
April 2019 marks the 5th anniversary of the loss of five inspiring young kids in our Brentwood neighbourhood.Quinterra Postcard (003)